Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is a part of hypertension diagnosis and patients need to go through the process often to adjust their medication and overall lifestyle. In hypertension management, the role of a 24-hour Ambulatory BP Monitor is very crucial to detect the level of hypertension and check the effects of medication on BP management. Getting the effective and right course of medication results in a better high blood pressure and balanced lifestyle otherwise, it can lead the patient to various health risks as well as to death. As prescribing the right medication is quite essential for hypertensive patients, following that ambulatory blood pressure monitoring also becomes very important. This is why some factors about 24-hour Ambulatory BP monitoring and ambulatory blood pressure monitoring are must-knowing things for hypertension patients before using an ambulatory blood pressure monitor. Let’s discuss it.
What a patient should know before using a 24-hour Ambulatory BP Monitor?
As lack of knowledge brings distraction proper knowledge about your health and diagnosis of any health issue can pave the way to a healthy and balanced life. There are a few things that a patient needs to know and follow as well about 24-hour Ambulatory BP Monitoring and the device.
- Consult a healthcare professional: Though ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is normally performed at home, it is under a clinical diagnosis which is why the first thing a patient need to know is that it is very essential step to discuss with your healthcare professional if there is any necessity of ABPM and what are the rules that you need to follow during the monitoring. They will provide you with enough understanding and guidance according to the standard hypertension guidelines and you will get the accurate knowledge of the appropriate usage of the device.
2. Familiarize yourself with the device: A 24-hour Ambulatory BP Monitor is not so complicated device to understand or use. But it is recommended by scientists and doctors to get proper knowledge about the device and how you need to use it throughout the process. So, take your time to read the instruction manual provided with the ABPM device and understand it properly with the help of a healthcare professional. Get complete knowledge about how to properly wear and operate the device, including any specific instructions for cuff placement, positioning, and avoiding interference.
3. Ensure the device is comfortable: As the patient has to wear the device for 24 hours continuously, even sometimes, they have to wear the device for 48 hours, it is very important to make sure the device they are going to wear for the diagnosis is a comfortable one. Because traditional blood pressure monitors are mostly equipped with an external tube and a supporting belt which is not so comfortable whereas modern ABPMs such as HINGMED WBP-02A are compact and it is not equipped with an external tube and a supporting belt to maximize patient comfort.
4. Preparing for the ABPM process: ABPM required wearing the device for an extended time period. it requires usually 24 hours but, in some cases, it can be 48 hours too which is why patients have to be mentally prepared and choose a suitable time when they can maintain their regular routine as much as possible. It is very essential to avoid any water contact or activities that may cause excessive sweating during the monitoring period to prevent the device from being damaged by water.
5. Wearing comfortable cloth: Wearing tight-fitting clothes don’t allow the blood to flow flawlessly, and might cause inaccurate result during a 24-hour Ambulatory BP Monitoring. Choose loose-fitting clothes that allow the blood to flow easily and in a better cycle throughout the body and provide a better and correct signal to the ABPM. Avoid any tight sleeves clothes or accessories that can cause interference with the proper cuff positioning on the upper arm.
6. Keep a diary: Many ABPM devices including WBP-02A allow recording activities, such as sleeping & waking time, body posture, morning surge, etc. but it is also recommended by doctors to keep notes about any symptoms, or medication taken during the ambulatory monitoring period. Maintain a diary of your activities during the process, recording any specific events, stressors, or symptoms you experience can provide valuable context for interpreting the blood pressure readings and future medication.
7. Follow a normal routine: Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is meant to record the BP fluctuation throughout the day and for an accurate analysis so doing everyday chores normally is very essential during the monitoring period. Try to maintain your usual activities and lifestyle as much as possible. This includes regular meals, exercise, and medication schedules. However, it’s important not to change or adjust your medication regimen without consulting your doctor.
8. Avoid cuff adjustments: The 24-hour ambulatory BP monitor’s cuff is specifically designed and calibrated for accurate measurements according to different arm sizes. It is recommended not to adjust or reposition the cuff during the monitoring period unless instructed to do so by your healthcare professional.
9. Avoid interfering factors: Certain activities or substances can affect blood pressure readings or interfere with the 24-hour ambulatory BP monitor’s working. Avoid caffeine, smoking, and strenuous exercise for at least 30 minutes before reading. Follow any specific instructions provided by your healthcare professional regarding medication intake or dietary restrictions during the monitoring period.
10. Keep the device secure & return the device promptly: Ensure the ABPM device remains securely attached to your arm throughout the monitoring period. Follow the instructions for securing the cuff and device, cover the device while taking a shower, and if any issues arise, contact your healthcare professional or the device manufacturer. Once the monitoring period is complete, return the ABPM device to the designated location as instructed by your healthcare professional or the device provider. Ensure that the recorded data is appropriately transferred for analysis.
A 24-hour ABPM device provides very crucial and informative insights about blood pressure throughout the day and that is why ambulatory blood pressure monitoring has become a very well-known method in hypertension diagnosis and overall high blood pressure management. However, whether there is the usage of a high-tech 24-hour ambulatory BP monitor as HINGMED WBP-02A if the patient doesn’t know previously mentioned points and doesn’t follow them there is a chance to get inaccurate results from the diagnosis.